Just a few pointers for the first time Yawgoog campers.
Scout gear pack up – Saturday July 9 10:00am to 12:00 at the Scoutmaster’s house, 5 Short Court Nesconset.
Please pack your gear in a duffle bag. We have limited space in the trailer and trunks are discouraged.
Please label everything brought to camp. Expect everything brought to camp to get wet, get dirty, be lost or mixed with other scout’s stuff. It’s amusing the emails and Facebook posts the week after camp of parents trying to find the stuff they sent to camp.
What NOT to bring to camp –
Electronics, cell phones, little brothers and sisters, , no firearms or fire works, no pets, no bikes, skateboards.
What you can bring to camp –
- scout spirit and scout books,
- tooth brush and tooth paste, soap, shampoo
- flashlights, pocket knives (if you have toten chip),
- bath/ beach towels, wash cloth
- 3-4 shorts, bathing suit,
- 4-5 tee shirts, underwear, socks
- You must have footwear on at all times – hiking boots (recommended, not required), water shoes (if you have them)
- Sweatshirt / lite jacket
- RAIN Gear – (rain coat or poncho )
- Sleeping bag or blanket
- Pen or pencil, notebook
- sun screen
- Nalgene water bottle
bug netting. For years Yawgoog was blessed with a robust bat population that controlled the bugs. About three years ago the bat population suffered a virus that decimated their numbers. As a result bugs came back. The good news the bats are starting to re-populate. I plan on taking my bug netting for my bunk, I suggest the same for your child. You can get netting at Walmart, Dick’s sports, the Scout shop for about $20.
The troop will rent for the week several fishing poles from the camp. It is not necessary to bring you own.